ISing Choir performs a series of concerts twice a year, each of which benefits a charitable, non-profit organization. 100% of the donations collected at each concert are forwarded to the beneficiary. To date ISing’s total gifts to non-profits have totaled over $194,000.
Concerts are typically held on the first full weekend in May and on the first full weekend in December. One beneficiary will be chosen for each concert series. A concert series typically consists of three concerts held over one weekend.
Beneficiaries for an ISing concert must meet the following criteria:
- Be a 501(c)(3) organization.
- Does not support a controversial cause (as determined by the ISing Choir board)
- Does not perform political lobbying, or support or oppose political candidates or other campaigns
- Does not advance religion, require participation in religious activities, primarily serve a religious group, or be typically thought to be a religious institution.
Preference will be given to locally active organizations (Beaverton, Washington County, and the Portland Metro Area), and organizations that have not been selected as a beneficiary by ISing Choir recently.
Expectations for the Beneficiary:
- Completion of a beneficiary agreement which will spell out the details of the concert that will benefit the organization and the expectations for ISing and the beneficiary. This is also to document for the IRS that we are collecting funds for donation to another non‐profit organization.
- A five minute presentation at each benefit concert in the series that will provide ISing’s audience with information about the work of the organization. The ISing Artistic Director and a representative of the board will work with the organization to ensure that the presentation is appropriate for ISing’s audience and the tone of the concerts. The goal of this is to make the most of this fundraising opportunity for the beneficiary.
- A willingness to solicit matching grants that could partner with ISing’s audience in raising funds for the organization.
Beneficiary Application Process:
Candidates will complete the Beneficiary Application form (below) for the following calendar year. All applications will be reviewed, and candidates selected for consideration will be invited to give a seven minute presentation to the beneficiary selection team. The final selection will be announced approximately one month after the presentations.
The presentation may include some of the following topics:
- The history of your organization
- The impact your organization has had on the community
- What your organization would do with the funds generated by the ISing concerts
- How you would present your organization at the concerts to inspire our audience
- Future plans for the organization
Handouts that recap the high points of the presentation are encouraged.
The beneficiaries for concert series through May 2018 have been selected. The next round of applications will begin in the summer of 2017 for concert series starting in December 2018.
Complete the application with consideration of the following timeline:
- Completed applications must be received by June 15.
- The beneficiary selection team will review applications and notify those to be considered by June 30th.
- Beneficiary candidates will be invited to give a short presentation to the selection team. Each applicant will have seven minutes for the presentation. This will be followed by a 3-5 minute Q & A session with the team.
- July: Beneficiaries will be notified no later than 60 days after the presentations.